Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Hard or soft?

I know the title of this post sounds like a counter worker's question in a taco restaurant, but it refers to something I'm noticing about myself lately. There is a shift in how I approach things at work that is more extreme than normal. It some respects I am hardening--more sure of what I believe, less reluctant to state my opinion, more willing to cut to the chase and less tolerant of BS. I doubt if that is surprising given I have less than 50 working days until retirement. However, what has surprised me is what I am labeling as a softening of my approach. May be I'm slowing things down, savoring exchanges. Whatever the dynamic, what I notice is that I am softer in my interactions with others. I think I am more thoughtful, more curious about their reality, more caring. I may have moved into a sentimental phase, but things seem less urgent, less edgy, less clear.

What a paradox!

No comments:

Post a Comment