Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Last post

It didn't take a year to define normal--much to my surprise and those who know me well. The last 4 months (has it only been 4 months?!) since retirement have been about shedding what doesn't fit and accepting what does.

These days dressing up consists of wearing a bra and putting on my fall-back silver hoop earrings before I leave the house. I have one criteria for the few new clothes I've purchased: comfortable.

I am seriously considering not renewing my ICF coaching accreditation that is due next month. That identity was so past life. I had an article that I wrote early this summer published in a coaching magazine last month. I didn't even read it when it arrived in the mail, nor was I interested in the other articles in the magazine. Not being defined by my accomplishments is probably the biggest "letting go" and the most surprising. Accomplishments have been replaced by creativity and not the by-product of creativity, the act of. I recently painted three pictures starting with an orange background and seeing how different I could make them in mood. I painted one without my glasses so I could concentrate on shapes rather than detail. It is play! I am doing some work still based on commitments I made pre-retirement. I find that they are, for the most part, intrusions in my day. I rarely fire up the computer. My I-Pad is another story since I use it for games, music and connecting with friends.

There is no sense of urgency. If I don't get to it today or feel like doing it today, there is tomorrow. I've freed myself of schedules and almost let go of to-do lists. These days the to-do lists function to remind myself of important things like dentist appointments rather than an endless list of things to give me an illusion of productivity. Productivity is usually defined now by producing a good meal. This weekend's milestone was finding a great, easy biscuit recipe. I had a moment of panic last nite thinking about how close we are to Christmas and what I wanted to do. I started my to-do list, but switched gears and used it to determine what I could eliminate. Decided I didn't need to make gifts and will probably send New Year's cards when I can get back from holiday travels.

One goal for retirement was to incorporate an exercise routine. I've accepted that it may not happen. I hated PE and sports. What made me think I would suddenly embrace the gym? Instead, I am just naturally more active. No long days in front of the computer or on the phone. I probably won't loose 30 pounds either. I like to eat and drink and I am comfortable in my body. I sleep well. Go to bed later and get up when my body is ready. I love the first thing in the morning when the house is quiet and I can savor my cup of tea and decide what I'd like to do that day. There's no have-tos or shoulds.

One of the greatest blessings has been around my relationships. Some I thought were important have fallen away and I am really okay with that. The others are even more special now. I am listening better, caring about what is happening in the day-to-day for those I love and savoring every conversation. Yes, I think I've finally got this doing/being balance right. As I look ahead there really isn't much I want to DO, but there are lots of people I want time to just BE with.

Life is good!


No comments:

Post a Comment