Thursday, January 19, 2012

Normal?

I think many people who say they want to be normal, want to be average, to fit in, to be like the in-group. I've never wanted to be ordinary. If anything, my sin is in seeking to distinguish myself from average. I remember the first time someone said to me, "you aren't normal" and meant that with great affection. I've had anything but an ordinary life in many respects and yet there's a nagging curiosity about what I would do, feel, think, even look like, if I were listening strictly to my own voice.

At 18 I wrote a poem about identity:

Letter to Myself

I'd like to be a wide-eyed waif,
With smudgy face and pudgy hand
And roam the street and sleep in deep, blue grass
And never know what I lack or why.

I'd like to be a high-born lady,
With long, silk skirts and a fat, black cat.
And stitch all day and sleep in a feather bed
And never see the sun rise.

I'd like to be a gypsy woman,
With full, hard breasts and long, black hair
And drink purple wine and dance to tease
And never love but hot, young men.

I'd like to be a stiff-backed intellectual
With stores of degrees and greed for more
And talents to develop and ambition to harness
And never know the flow of tears.

I am me though. And what is that?
It's a little bit of everything and not enough
of anything to recognize myself as me.

18 to now going on 65--a whole lifetime of experiences--and I am still exploring the same question. What I'm curious about now is not where I fit in, but who I am when I no longer have to fit someone else's standards--specifically when I retire. I think of the old story about how you boil a frog--you slowly increase the temperature of the water so it doesn't notice and doesn't jump out. I fear that I am a boiled frog. I'm sure I'm a product of the work environment. How could I not be?

So this next year will be a combination of navel-gazing and trying new things to see what really fits for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment